17 Business Blogging Tips to Increase Readership
Business blogging. It sounds simple at first: slap up some content, post on social media, and * bam * it’ll go viral in no time, right?
Unfortunately, it’s not that easy.
There are a variety of factors that go into writing a successful business blog-from writing the content and image formatting, to optimizing and promoting your post.
Fret not. We’ve compiled 17 business blogging tips to help increase your readership and conversions
1. Understand your readers. What are they searching for online, where do they eat, what do they need to make their life easier?
2. Retarget on social media with ads. Why target cold traffic when you can lure in already warm traffic? Read more here.
3. Guest blogs are golden nuggets. Not only are you able to leverage other industry leaders’ valuable expertise, but you’re also able to draw their audience’s traffic and take workload off your team’s plate.
4. Add some personality! Find your team’s unique tone, and your audience will be able to connect with your company on a more personal level.
5. Write attention-grabbing headlines. The headline needs to speak to a pain the reader has or something the reader wants. Here are some headline writing tips.
6. React to current events and industry trends. And do it soon. Your content must be relevant and eye opening, and tackling current events enables both.
7. Take a stand. Don’t be afraid to have an opinion. After all, in newspaper land, most people flip to the editorials first.
8. Don’t waste readers’ time. Dive in and get to the point with zero fluff.
9. Be helpful but don’t be afraid to ask for action. Don’t bury your calls to action. As long as you’re providing quality content, it’s cool to be direct. Make sure they are clear and it’s obvious what you want the reader to do.
10. Provide outside research with links. Yes, people want to see that your data is good.
11. Images are content, too! Lure readers in with graphics, images, infographics, and example screen grabs.
12. Provide an experience. People consume content differently, so make sure your blog isn’t just all text. Embed videos, images, charts, etc., to create a multimedia experience.
13. Avoid blocks of content. Most online readers scan copy. Make your blog easy to read with shorter paragraphs, bullet points, and numbered lists.
14. Write about what excites you. No one wants to read boring copy. Write about what you love, what you are passionate about, what gets you going, etc.
15. Make it easy to share the love. If you want people to share, you have to make it easy for them. Make sure each post has social share buttons.
16. Post often—but not too often. You should definitely be posting new content to your blog weekly. But more than twice a week is a little overkill (and most likely won’t be killer content). 1-2 times a week is the sweet spot.
17. Create an editorial calendar. This will help you stay organized on when posts are going to be published, how to spread out categories, calls to action are in which blogs, etc.
Did you love this list, but wish someone else would just do all of the work for you? We’ve got you covered.