The way your audience processes online content is an essential tidbit of information that will help you create a site that encourages visitors to take your desired action. Some people absorb information more thoroughly with visuals, while others find interaction, words, or audio more powerful and memorable. Since we all process information in unique ways, it’s a good idea to cover all of your bases when building a connection between your brand image and your target audience.
Below are 5 different channels to establish a connection between your targeted website visitor and your brand (mix and match as you see fit):
1. Audio: Some people find a connection to a brand through soft background music that stimulates the senses and creates an experience for the site visitor. For example, a spa website that utilizes Zen-inducing rhythms on its website might take certain visitors through an experience that encourages them to call for a spa treatment. Creating a sense of immediate relaxation using soft music can spark an emotion that inspires visitors to quickly take your desired action.
Audio isn’t for all business websites. It’s important to thoroughly understand your brand image and your audience before adding audio to your website.
2. Video: I personally love websites that utilize video—especially on an About Us page. I usually feel a stronger connection to a brand when I can visualize their staff speaking and interacting. Video also makes it easy for multitaskers to absorb information about the company while writing or performing another task.
3. Web Copy: Some people absorb the most information through the good-old written word. Writing effective web copy that speaks to your audience is one of the best ways to illustrate your brand image and invoke an emotional connection between your brand and your target market.
In addition to projecting your brand message, website copy also works to determine your website ranking. Optimized web copy that effectively utilizes keywords throughout will be much more likely to rank higher in search engines and increase your chances of being found online.
4. Images: Similar to audio, images have the ability to invoke a particular emotion within site visitors and take them through a memorable experience. Someone who can visualize what your company stands for might be more willing to purchase from you than if you just utilized web copy alone on your website.
Images also have a role in website ranking since they can be optimized using Alt tags (keywords associated with your image).
5. Social Media Icons: Some of your website visitors might prefer to interact with your brand or absorb information about your company in real time. Cater to these individuals by providing them with various ways to connect with your brand on social media. I suggest placing social media icons in an obvious location on each of your website pages.
How do you absorb information?